The Bradenton Area (Bradenton, Anna Maria Island, Longboat Key) is located on Florida’s west coast, between St. Petersburg/Tampa and Sarasota on the Gulf of Mexico. But once you are there, you will feel worlds away. It is known for unspoiled beaches, rich history, the easy pace of island life, and a downtown energized with arts, culture, discoveries and more. Bradenton is one of the few destinations in the state to have successfully preserved the characteristics of authentic Florida, while also seeing major growth and development. Area beaches line the idyllic barrier islands of Anna Maria Island and Longboat Key, where cozy beach front cottages, intimate resorts, and inns and smaller, low-rise condominiums offer sea views.
As part of their visit to the Bradenton Area, writers will explore Anna Marie Island, which Travel magazine Conde Nast Traveler has ranked one of the best islands in the world for its soft, white sand. The island is proudly free of chain restaurants and sky-rise buildings. Pine Avenue, known as the “Greenest Little Main Street in America,” boasts local shops, general stores, boutiques, and cafes. Anna Maria Island is home to award-winning dining options, such as Beach Bistro (consistently awarded the state’s highest ZAGAT scores). The epicurean Euphemia Haye on Longboat Key is also a top choice, as is Anna Maria Oyster Bar on the pier. The area has been recognized nationally for its locally sourced food, unique menu item, and on-the-water locations. Area beaches include 16 miles of sugar-white sand with convenient public access. Visitors can kayak, canoe, or take a powerboat or a chartered fishing boat, or go flyboarding, parasailing, windsurfing, jet skiing, or just exploring in the clear-blue water for wildlife, such as manatees, dolphins, sea turtles, and fish.
Selected writers would fly into the Sarasota Bradenton International Airport (SRQ) or into Tampa International Airport (TPA) to begin the media trip. Transportation from the Bradenton area to St. Petersburg for the IFWTWA conference will be provided. Specific hotel and restaurant information for the media trip is pending.
IFWTWA Writers in Attendance:
- 16 Beautiful Towns In The Southeast To Visit In 2023 by Amy Piper
- Anna Maria Island by Kathleen Walls
- My 11 Best Restaurants near Tampa by Kathleen Walls
- Anna Maria Island, An Old Florida Feel by Kathleen Walls
- A Slice Of Paradise—And A Dog—At Compass By Margaritaville In Bradenton by Barbara Redding
- Some first-rate places to stay on Florida’s Anna Maria Island by Barbara Redding
- Anna Maria Island offers a taste of the simple life on Florida’s Gulf Coast by Barbara Redding
- 5 Best Restaurants in the Bradenton Gulf Islands by Amy Piper
- Video: Bradenton and Anna Maria Island by Scott Kendall
- Visit the Bradenton Area: Anna Maria Island and Longboat Key, “Real. Authentic. Florida.” by Debbra Dunning Brouillette
- Bradenton and Anna Maria Island, Florida by Scott Kendall