Are you an oenophile? Do you love the slight taste of oak in your Cabernet? Can you taste the difference between Pinot Gris and Chardonnay? Have you thought of starting a wine blog?
There are many advantages to starting a wine blog. A blog can act like your own digital journal by recording your experience with wine. Your photos and words will let your family and friends share in your experiences no matter where they are in the world—even if they don’t particularly like wine. It might even serve as a catalyst for you to write on assignment for publications or wineries and wine makers.
Not sure how to start a blog, though? Let us help you with this easy five-step process.
- Identify your blog’s focus.
- Choose a name and secure a domain.
- Choose a web host.
- Install WordPress and customize your blog’s theme.
- Start writing!
Identify Your Blog’s Focus.
One of the biggest mistakes new bloggers make is that they try to cover too in their blog, and some make the mistake of being too narrow in focus. Writing about wine is pretty much a niche in itself. Sure you can write about wine tastings, the wines of the world, and wineries, but make sure you will have enough different material to cover.
Choose a Name and Secure a Domain.
Once you have a good plan for your blog’s niche, choose a domain name that reflects it. You want something that not only attracts readers but also informs them as to your blog’s focus. “MY BLOG” isn’t going to cut it, so try to come up with something that reflects you and your blog. If you are going to concentrate on hiking trails around the world, for example, you might consider “Beautiful Blend,” “God of the Grape,” or “In Vino Veritas.”
You will, of course, have to check if your domain name is available. You can do so by typing your preferred domain name on Siteground. If the name is taken, Siteground will tell you and give you some options. Note in the example below, I put in “offthebeatenpath.com” and found that it is already registered. I tried “imoffthebeatentrack.com” and found that by adding “I’m,” the domain was available.
Choose a web host.
Choosing a web host might be confusing, but you want to choose one that is reliable and that has good customer service. Siteground is not only one of the fastest web hosts but also one of the most reliable with a 99.90% uptime. (In other words, it doesn’t crash.) In addition, Siteground offers free domain registration and free SSL certificate (which makes your blog trustworthy). If that’s not enough to convince you, WordPress recommends Siteground as a host.
Siteground has always relied on a highly innovative approach in web hosting services. In addition to developing their infrastructure and the entire software stack entirely internally, they are constantly one of the first providers to implement innovations such as the latest PHP versions. Currently, they are one of the first to allow the activation of WebP (new image compression format) and Brotli (compression… available in any plan with SiteTools). Moreover, the company is one of the leading providers of hosting and software services in the world. With more than 2,000,000 domains and five data centers on four continents, they provide 24/7 expert WordPress support.
Also, SiteGround is currently offering it’s web hosting for as much as 70% off on its various plans. So you can get in right now with your wine blog at a tremendous deal.
To get started on Siteground, click here. Usually, beginners use the StartUp plan for 1 website since it offers free SSL certificate to secure the website (a must nowadays!). It also offers free email accounts which make things professional; has free CDN included to boost th performance; includes automatic 1 click WordPress installation and automated update. In addition, the caching is included; servers are Google Cloud; and you will also receive 24/7 expert WordPress support.
It’s not hard. Choose the plan you want and follow the directions. Before you know it, you’ll be ready to install WordPress.
Install WordPress and Customize Your Blog’s Theme.
Once you’ve registered with Siteground, all you have to do is follow the easy and simple directions to install WordPress with Siteground’s in-house built WordPress Starter plugin There is a video that walks you through a curated number of themes and plugins to choose from and launch your website within minutes. Siteground hand-picked the best plugins for the most common website needs based on our knowledge and experience ( e.g. WPForms, Yoast SEO, WP Google Maps, Jetpack and more), and they have partnered with great theme providers to include premium themes at no cost to their customers.
While WordPress comes with a default theme, Siteground’s premium themes might help you personalize your blog more to your style. To do so, click on “Appearances” in the WordPress dashboard, you can peruse the free themes. Click “Preview” to get an idea of how the pages of your blog will look with the different themes. Choose one that you like, install it, and activate it. Once it is up and running, you can customize the colors, layout, fonts, and more. You are now ready to move on!
Siteground has special features that they developed especially for WordPress— the SuperCacher plugin and the SG Optimizer plugin which help optimize your site without your having to deal with code. In addition, consider that Siteground offers:
- Dynamic caching on all plans to speed up between 50% and 500% website loading. This is one of the most powerful speed technologies that they have ever created for their clients
- New MySQL database setup for faster query processing
- Brotli compression is enabled on all plans
- The Ultrafast PHP server is now available on GrowBig plans and higher. It has significant impact on the TTFB and speeds up sites with up to 30%
Congratulations! The only thing left for you to do now is start publishing. Make sure to create “About” and “Contact” pages in addition to your main blog page. Your readers will want to know more about you, and many may want to contact you.
Start writing your posts, and try to add at least one per week. By posting regularly, you keep your readers engaged, interested, and wanting more.
Finally, don’t forget to share your posts on social media to build your audience.
What is the Digiprove Service?
It’s a digital signature service using public-private key cryptography. A user signs his or her work using Digiprove tools. The hash or calculated value of the cryptographic signature of each file is irrefutable and non-reputable and stored on a third-party server, in this case, at Digiprove in Ireland. This arm’s-length relationship with a third party for authentication and non-repudiation is essential in cyberspace transactions.
Digiprove will help the Association and members personally to authenticate their work and their identities in cyberspace with a non-refutable audit trail in the event they ever need to validate their identities or work to third parties.
Benefits Span Three Areas
- FWT magazine
- Personal services for our members
- Projection of a substantially favorable leadership image of IFWTWA in the travel and hospitality industry
Benefits for FWT Magazine
- Free “Corporate Light” membership
- Installation of a plugin on the site that signs all content
- Assistance (if required) in implementing on the site
- We can configure individual authors as Copyright-holders of submitted content. The Association is the conduit. The member is the owner to rights.
Benefits for Members on FWT Magazine
- Digiprove certification takes place for all published Posts
- Authors can have their authorship documented and displayed in the relevant copyright notices
- Includes Images as well as Text (normally a Premium feature)
- Attempts to copy are prevented and logged (with IP address)
- Can subscribe for dedicated Digiprove account at a discount`
- Can choose licensing model (from approved list) for individual articles
Benefits for FWT/IFWTWA
- Increases trust
- Clarity of licensing arrangements with copyright notice.
- Authors are made much more aware of Copyright and Plagiarism issues
- Digiprove pays a 25% commission to the Association on paying sign-ups
Benefits to Member Bloggers
- Installation of a plugin on their site that signs all content
- Assistance (if required) in implementing plugin on the site
- Copy protection: no one can right-click and copy or select and drag copy from their sites
- Email notices of attempts to steal
- Proof of everything they publish with copyright notices
- Authentication of their publications (blog and social media) in cyberspace
- Subscription up to 40% off regular prices ($32 for a professional membership or about $20 a month for 1 year)
- Use of all tools on Digiprove website
Benefits to Non-Blogger Members
- Download of software (PC/MAC) so they can sign all they create locally before sending off to publishers / social media posts online
- Subscription up to 40% off regular prices ($10 for an entry level membership or about $6 a month for 1 year)
- Use of all tools on Digiprove website
Benefits to Photographer Members
Benefits to the Association
- 25% Quarterly donation to Association on the back-end calculation of all subscriptions
- Leadership. Projects IFWTWA as a thought leader and actual practitioner establishing end-to-end digital trust in cyberspace
- IFWTWA will be the first organization to take this leadership role in the Travel and Hospitality industry
Take a test drive for FREE. Click on the green button below.
If you end up loving it as much as we do, subscribe and take advantage of the up to 40% discount Digiprove confers on IFWTWA members.
The redemption code is IFWTWA_. Enter this code with the member number from your profile on the Digiprove site and you’re good to go!